Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Being on a Board - What's It All About


I recently gave this presentation at the Grant Professionals MidAtlantic Regional Conference and I thought I would share it here. I was asked to present on this subject because grant professionals frequently get asked to be on boards and some are interested in joining Boards as part of their professional development.

Although this is basic stuff I thought some of you may find something of value here and/or may want to pass this on to others.

The presentation covers the basic responsibilities of being a board member, gives advice on how to be a successful board member and recommends questions to ask before joining a Board. Lots of thanks to Boardsource and Independent Sector for all the good information. In the session we talked about a lot of Board related topics not covered here including Board recruitment, Board orientation and the Board manual. Here are the slides:


What are your thoughts on this subject? What makes a good Board and a good Board Member? Please join the conversation and leave your comments.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have just joined the group and this was the first entry I read. I was really impressed. I am a non-profit consultant and have made dozens of presentations. This was very thoughtful and well-organized. Thanks for sharing

Amy Eisenstein said...

Great post and thanks for sharing your powerpoint. It has wonderful information for nonprofits that are struggling with their boards.

employee scheduling software said...

Wow, Very good post. Thanks for sharing. I was looking for this knowledge.